If you want to develop against the SharePoint 2010 sites with Visual Studio 2010, here are the high level development environment requirements and permissions to develop and debug against SharePoint environment.
MSDN Article Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231582.aspx
Development Environment – SharePoint Development Box
- SharePoint developer tools only support a SharePoint single server farm or standalone configuration.
- SharePoint development is not suppported in the multi-server farm configuration.
- To develop SharePoint solutions in the Visual Studio 2010, you must install SharePoint on the same machine as Visual Studio 2010. In other words, if you have more than one SharePoint servers (e.g. 1 WFE and 1 App Server) in the farm, SharePoint development is not supported.
- If you have SQL Server or active directory domain services are installed on the different servers, SharePoint development is still supported as long as you have only one SharePoint Server with full SharePoint installation in the farm.
Developer Account Permissions on the SharePoint Development Box
- User must be in the Local Administrators group
- User must be in the WSS_ADMIN_WPG group
- User must be SharePoint Farm administrator
- User must be db_owner of the corresponding content database
- User must be Site Collection administrator of the Site Collection Where Custom Solution will be deployed to